Thursday, February 19, 2009

Fruit Salad…yummy yummy

One of the best things I can do for Devin is allow him to conceptualize and create his own fruit salad. He loves fruit as is, but he loves fruit salad even more! Making fruit salad is a great way to do little side activities, like, colors, shapes, textures and even smells. I'll let Devin tell me what he wants in it, and I even let him help me wash the fruit and decide how to cut it. Today, I gave him the option of two types of apples, and even whether he wanted the peel off and how he wanted it sliced or whether he wanted it cubed. We also put grapes in and cut bananas. I recommend it highly for anyone who wants to experiment with their child in the kitchen. It'll promote healthy eating habits, as well as allow bonding time. Also, I let Devin help me pick fruit at the grocery store so he can know how to pick out fruit properly. And then when we are done, he always can't wait to sit down with a bowl of his very own creation! Hopefully, one day, we'll be able to add other things other than fruit, like granola, etc. Try it today!